Join the TSTI Social Justice Task Force
“Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone's soul heal.Walk out of your house like a shepherd.” ~ Rumi
The TSTI Social Justice Task Force was created to advocate, inform and engage the Temple community, and the community at large, to promote social justice through education, collaboration and action.
In February 2019, Rabbi Cohen, Cantor Moses and 29 members of the Temple participated in a Civil Rights tour in Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama. The group was inspired to continue in a meaningful capacity to create positive change for equal justice and met again following the trip on March 28, 2019. Paramount consideration was given to finding ways to have an impact utilizing the formidable resources of the Temple community.
Here are some of the actions we’ve taken:
- Social Justice Education – bias and racism awareness programs
- Immigrants’ Rights work
- Civil Rights Art Project in partnership with the TSTI Art Committee
- Community Outreach
- Black/Jewish Solidarity Event in partnership with South Orange/Maplewood social justice groups
- AIDS Quilt Display and Program
- TSTI 100% Participation Voter Pledge and Get Out the Vote campaigns with the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism
- ADL Summit participation
- Work with the Poor People’s Campaign
We hope to see you at our events this year, and would love your help in planning any future events that may interest you.
Please contact us if you have any questions or would like more information on how to get involved.